Teaching Myself to Sew, Sew RIGHT!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Learn something everyday!

It's true what they say - you learn something everyday, at least I do!

Today I read about 50 pages of Fantastic Fit For Every Body by Gale G. Hazen. I had considered not getting this book due to reviews on Amazon.com, but I am now finding it a very nice reference to have and I am dying to try some of the fitting techniques in here. I am by no means obese, but I am slightly overweight and slightly curvy. Anyway....

I found out that the term "petite" does not mean small-boned, it means under 5 feet 1 inch. Or according to some pattern company standards - under 5 feet 4 inches. Well, I am indeed petite! I didn't think I was because of the retail standards for petite which are usually short and very slim. But I am learning more and more that retail stores and pattern companies rely on a "perfect" mannequin. It's really not perfect or even near what Americans or anyone really look like. Flat tummy and very skinny. Not very curvy either.

Only 5 % of people are like that of the mannequin they use because we are all so different in our body shapes. We cannot all aspire to be one body type. There are so many different body types, and I have seen this through experience - I am a massage therapist and see many walks of life and different shapes walk into work.

Anyway, now that I've been reading this wonderful book which I was hesitant to read, I am looking around for some sturdy, semi-cheap tracing paper to practice on. I also want to try out the Lutterloh System I have in my posession. I would just hate having to ruin fabric with pattern alteration. I don't quilt (yet) so I have nothing to do with the scraps I have left over.


I am also trying to get motivated to get off my butt and away from the light of this monitor to sew something up, but I don't want to get discouraged when I am in front of my sewing machine. I actually want a miniature doll to create clothes for, and I just might use my little art buddy mannequin dude, let's call him Woody. He's my posable art model. About 1/15 of the actual size of a person. Hell, maybe less. I need something small to practice on if I can't get tracing paper. I'll even make Woody some fake boobies, haha.

Oh yeah, and here's what my halter currently looks like (sorta)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home