Teaching Myself to Sew, Sew RIGHT!

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Petticoat Saga continues...

Well, today before being picked up, I have started actually SEWING my petticoat. Boy, it's a lot more work than I thought! The biggest obstacle for me was getting through the yards and yards of strips to find the end to sew to the next end. 32 yards for the second layer is a LOT of fabric! Whooaa. I ended up rolling the tulle around my chair so that I could find the end, but that didn't really work as planned, so I had to sit on my bed and sort through it all. And that STILL didn't work.

I finally sewed it together...and I discovered my gathering foot, which I LOVE to peices. Saves tons of time! It probably scrunched up a yard to be only 1.5 feet, which is all I needed. Although, I am still not done because I didn't sew the strips into a circle of tulle correctly...It's now a moebius strip (meaning one end is twisted), so now I have to take out some gathering stitches and flip one end to meet the other correctly to make a circle. Shouldn't take too long.

It would've been copacetic if I had someone here to help me with all those yards of tulle. But it was fun, though tedious, and MUCH better than paying a TON of money for one that's premade. I may continue making it tonight, and maybe work on Benjamin's shirt.

Speaking of which, I really want to make a yoke for him one of these days, but I'll definitely need practice, especially since I don't have a pattern for one. A yoke is "fabric comprising a fitted part at the top of a garment"...It's a feature used a lot in rockabilly shirts (and many many other outfits, like smocks and such with a totally different look and appeal). Rockabilly shirts usually have a western feel to them, and I love the look of them when done the neo-rockabilly way. Here's a link to show what I mean. Makes my heart faint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home